Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

Featured Friday #5 whiterosecreations

WhiteRoseCreations





_______________________________________


This week's featured shop is whiterosecreations. This shop features funky, yet beautiful jewelry and accessories, many of which are made with chainmaille. There are also cat tails, animal ear hair clips, and drawstring bags. If you like what you see in the etsy shop, whiterosecreations also has a blog you can check out!





INTERVIEW




Tell us who you are


The White Rose Creations team consists of two people, DeeDe White and Christina Rose. DeeDe is an extremely talented seamstress who makes her own patterns. She does costuming and makes accessories. If you can think it up, she can most likely make it. Christina is a wire artisan and does both chainmaille and wire wrap. Working primarily in .999 fine silver and 12k goldfill for her wrapping, she wraps both cabbed and rough stones with the occasional faceted gem. We are located in Washington State and frequently do Sci-Fi/Fantasy Conventions in that area.




Other than creating things for etsy, what do you do?


DeeDe: I create things for my own personal entertainment. I know it sounds weird….but I think of something that I think I can’t do and I try to create it. It’s a challenge.


Christina: I have a job in security, which actually gives me some time each day to work on products.




What first made you want to become an artist?


DeeDe: I was always just better at putting pictures or items together than I was at putting word together. I learned to sew from my Grandma.


Christina: I don’t think you can choose to be an artist, I think it chooses you. It’s your job to locate your medium and then excel at it. I tried to do lots of stuff to let my creativeness flow before I discovered that wire just spoke to me, I can’t explain it. But I’ve had crafty tendencies all my life.




Describe your creative process and the materials you use


DeeDe: I typically get a flash of inspiration that just won’t let go until I get a piece of paper and sketch it. If I like how the picture turns out, I try to make it for real. Sometimes it works and sometimes it’s just frustrating.


Christina: I will sketch out a stone and then play around with designs until I’m satisfied with it. Of course that doesn’t mean the design will go that way. Sometimes the wire just laughs at you and kinks at the most inopportune times. The chainmaille is so much easier. Just pick your colors and go for it. I use wire to make my creations, whatever they may be. When doing maille, I use pliers primarily. When doing wire wrap, it’s flush cutters and my hands that do the work.




What handmade possession to you prize the most?


DeeDe: My bathrobe!! This used to be a costume piece, it was a cloak I had made to be Nymphadora Tonks one year for Halloween. It’s really comfy and my cats have adopted it as their own personal binky.


Christina: DeeDe made me a hoodie out of red spider web print fleece for my birthday one year. I practically live in the thing. Friends have commented on their amazement that I manage to take it off long enough to wash it. LOL! To which I replied, “I didn’t say I took it off…I just said I washed it.”




Top 5 websites you visit besides etsy?


DeeDe: Meebo, Deviantart, random surfing on Google, IsoHunt, Second Life


Christina: Deviantart, M.A.I.L Artisans, Blogspot, The Ring Lord, and MonsterSlayer




Any advice you have for new etsy users


Take really good pictures of your items. I still haven’t perfected it yet, but I think I’m getting there.




What are your favorite features of etsy, and what new features would you like to see?


DeeDe: Favorites. More customization for the shops.


Christina: The Forums. I lurk there quite often to get tips and to read other peoples funny stories.




How do you promote your shop/work?


DeeDe: Business cards at conventions, and Deviantart groups.


Christina: The blog (http://whiterosecreations.blogspot.com/), at shows, and I haven’t taken to chucking jewelry at people quite yet.




In ten years, where would you like to be?


DeeDe: Driving to a new show in the company hearse, somewhere in the US.


Christina: I would like to have my own home/office space to craft in. That would be fabulous. Of course if I can get there sooner…I will.

No comments: