Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

Featured Friday: Stoopher


Tell us who you are:


My name is Stephanie, proud owner of Stoopher & Boots. I live in NYC and am blessed with a loving family that is supportive of my artistic pursuits. So much so that I named my company after my Father's nickname for me (Stephanie/Stoopher) and my sister (Betsy/Boots.)



Other than creating things for etsy, what do you do?


I have a corporate job that takes up quite a few hours of my day (and night). This business has really allowed me to have a creative outlet while utilizing the business skills I've gained in the corporate world.



What first made you want to become an artist?


I'm always enjoyed crafting and have made stuff since I was a little kid. I started this business by looking for a creative gift idea for my sister's second set of twins (yes, second). I decided to try out designing shirts and got such wonderful feedback I thought I would continue. I took pictures of what I'd made, posted them to etsy and things took off from there. Now I've expanded into adult and dog tees too.



Describe your creative process and the materials you use?


Cotton and colors. I recently read a quote, "luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it isn't luxurious." Who said cotton and organics can't be considered a luxury? I love mixing colors and creating images that highlight those combinations. I'm also inspired by the versatility of fashion. I think someone can look just as fabulous on the runway as in an awesome tshirt and jeans.



What handmade possession to you prize the most?


An afghan that my grandmother crocheted for me



Top 5 websites you visit besides etsy?


nytimes.com, craftcult.com, facebook.com, twitter.com, cnn.com



Any advice you have for new etsy users?


Someone once told me, do what you love, and if it doesn't make you money, then find a job that allows you to have time for that which you love doing. I think it is so important to find time in your life for your creative outlets.



What are your favorite features of etsy, and what new features would you like to see?


I love the forums and chat rooms as that's where I learn the most from other crafters.I'd love the ability for buyers to be able to register for gifts through etsy.



How do you promote your shop/work?


Other than etsy (http://stoopher.etsy.com/), I'm on Twitter (stoopherboots) and have a facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=55563193685&ref=mf). I also participate in craft fairs and try to talk about my shop and goals with as many people as I can. It was through an aquiantance at the dog park that I made a connection which let to my first NYC boutique customer.



In ten years, where would you like to be?


I would like to own my own store.


No comments: