Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Drop Out Now part one

When I was a senior in high school all I could think about was following my then-boyfriend to a big city school and starting my bigger, "better" life. This month marks the 10 year anniversary of the start of my college career, and from this point in my life I have a very different opinion of the decisions I made.

I was very proud to be the first in my family to attend a 4 year school, but feel like I was too young and naive to make the decisions I had to make. I lacked the proper guidance from someone with more experience in collegiate affairs (like, say....a decent guidance counselor who cared more about what was best for me rather than the ratio of how many of their students went on to a private 4 year school...) So I was left on my own to choose a school and figure out how to finance it, whether or not I would be able to afford it. I feel like this is a trap that many students get stuck in, and it's important that we let kids know they have other options.

I was unaware that I was about to make one of the biggest financial mistakes of my life...

...to be continued.....

-- Post From My iPhone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree that it's such a huge and important decision for 17-18 year olds to make. I feel like we're so sheltered for so long and then one day you have to make a huge decision all while you aren't allowed to stay out after midnight and your life has revolved around nothing but sports... then you get there and you want to change your major a few times and it ends up costing you more money. It's such a money grabbing trap!!