Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

Featured Friday: AndreaCreates


Tell us who you are
My name is Andrea, currently in Southern California- will be moving this summer though.

Other than creating things for etsy, what do you do?
I am a stay at home mom and school volunteer in my 'spare' time:)

What first made you want to become an artist?
I have always wanted to be an artist.Ever since I was very little I have been making things by hand, painting and sewing.

Describe your creative process and the materials you use
For my sewing projects ,I wait to be inspired by a fabric, a color, or a new design I want to try out, then I go for it.I love to use materials that are vintage, repurposed or vintage/retro inspired.I also love trims and try and incorporate vintage buttons when I can.

What handmade possession to you prize the most?
My most treasured handmade possessions are the drawings and projects that my children make.

Top 5 websites you visit besides etsy?
I love to visit many websites and blogs-I visit the blogs I 'follow' almost everyday-you can see those in my 'blogs I follow section' at andreacreates.blogspot.com. I also love to visit posiegetscozy.typepad.com, tongueincheek, thepurlbee.com...just to name a few-I can spend hours scrolling through blogs.

Any advice you have for new etsy users
I would recommend that new etsy users try and promote outside of etsy as well.Places like flickr can be helpful.

What are your favorite features of etsy, and what new features would you like to see?
I don't know if I have one favorite feature on etsy.When I first discovered etsy,I was just so happy to be able to sell my things online without having to have my own website or having to learn tons of new computer skills.I guess my favorite feature is etsy itself! That said, I think it would be neat if we could add a few more pictures to our listings and maybe a new way of 'searching'.

How do you promote your shop/work?
I like to use my blog and flickr, word of mouth also works well for me, and I always enjoy doing craft shows.

In ten years, where would you like to be?
I would like to design fabrics in the future, and patterns.I'd like to be able to support myself solely with my creative work:)

No comments: