Pages

Friday, August 21, 2009

Featured Friday: Loopdiloops


Tell us who you are

My name is Dani, I'm a wife, and stay at home mommy of one baby girl. I started making slings for my daughter when she was about 4 months old, and haven't really stopped since! I'm a member of Etsy's team Alberta, that consists of many wonderful and supportive women (and men) from around the province.

Other than creating things for etsy, what do you do?

I like to spend time goofing around with my 21 month old, making crafts, baking goodies, she is a fantastic little helper, and an expert taste-tester.

What first made you want to become an artist?

My mom has an old book, like the kind where there's a page for each school year, you put your school photos in and write what you want to be when you grow up, and I think there's about 6 years in a row that in my little handwriting I had written "Artist" in all the blank boxes. She always had some kind of fun craft for us to do as kids, or sewing project on the go, and I guess I just never grew out of it!

Describe your creative process and the materials you use

I like to find different color combinations, that compliment eachother, but don't match perfectly and pair them together. For the ballgowns I make, it's mostly a process of draping fabric over an old doll or teddy bear until it looks "just right", and from there it's trial and error to find out what is functional or not.

Top 5 websites you visit besides etsy?

I like to check out different blogs, my favorite right now being etsywedding.blogspot.com even though I'm already married, there are so many cool ideas on there! allrecipes.com is a great one for when you're trying to figure out what to make for dinner, facebook.com I use to catch up with long distance friends and family. Besides that most of my time is spent on etsy.com, or paying bills online.

Any advice you have for new etsy users

I'm still a fairly new etsy user I suppose, but one thing I've learned is you have to have stellar photos. Browsing the forums is usually a big help to learn the ins and outs, but maybe a big one would be trying to spend more time actually creating and less on the computer!

What are your favorite features of etsy, and what new features would you like to see?

I like the way etsy.com is run the way it is, sure there's a few things that would be handy, but it's been great. I love the community and culture of the buyers and sellers, its nice to have the real down to earth human communication, and ability to create or request such unique custom items from a real person instead of buying mass produced products.

How do you promote your shop/work?

Mostly, word of mouth or on my blog http://loopdiloops.blogspot.com

In ten years, where would you like to be?

Hopefully, still creating, maybe not exactly the same things I do now but I hope I would be at home with my child(ren) watching them grow.

No comments: