Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

Featured Friday: PenelopeAndAnastasia


Tell us who you are
My name is Pamela Kucera and I happily quit my job of 13 years to stay home with our now 2 year old daughter and make my baubles! I live outside of Philadelphia in Royersford PA; the small town I grew up in and decided to buy our beloved 100 year old house on Main Street! I'm a proud member of Etsy's FAM Team but I love all things Etsy.

Other than creating things for etsy, what do you do?
Like many of us creative types, I have tooooo many hobbies! I'm always taking a new class through the local community ed program; recent ones were knitting, stained glass, and kyaking. I've always been a sewer and love decorating. I find the study of blending color, pattern, and texture fascinating. A lifelong yard-saler, thrift shopper, and flea marketer lead to my opening a second Etsy Shop for Vintage named for my daughter ~ MarcellasExcess. Someone famous has a quote like - I do many things...imperfectly. That's me in my happy nutshell

What first made you want to become an artist?
I think I've always considered myself an artist in some way. It was wonderful coming to the realization growing up that an artist isn't always a painter or a sculpter etc...but one who creates something that brings a smile to another's face.

Describe your creative process and the materials you use
I'm a list maker. My creative process has adjusted since having my daughter, as my brain doesn't focus on the same things with the same veracity as it used to. When I think of an idea for a piece of jewelry...I write it down or I'll forget! I hoard old vintage pieces that I scoop up at yard sales to incorporate whole or take apart and reuse. These pieces are always inspiring imagining their lives before they came into mine.

What handmade possession to you prize the most?
I have a necklace that wasn't overly difficult to create but its full of vintage beads, an old locket with a stranger's initials and my baby's head charm with her name and birthday. It always makes me happy.

Top 5 websites you visit besides etsy?
I'm a facebook addict, I love Realtor.com so I can add houses to my "when I win the Lottery" list, I'm a wannabe foodie so I'm on the foodnetwork's site often, craftcult.com to check my cherished hearts, and now Twitter too.

Any advice you have for new etsy users
I'm still taking advice, so I don't know that I'm qualified to give it - loL! I do think that listing often helps with sales. I cherish the help the forums can provide on various questions we have. And its a cliche now, but don't get down when sales are low...there will come that morning when you check your shop and there will be a sale...and that's the best feeling!!

What are your favorite features of etsy, and what new features would you like to see?
I love the addition of the Google Analytics feature but wait for the day when Etsy institutes a better way for sellers to quote shipping for items, like just entering an item's weight and then buyers can find a shipping quote via their zip-code.

How do you promote your shop/work?
I don't pay for any advertising anywhere. Word of mouth has been a blessing to me! Facebook has treated me very well with many sales going to old friends and now their friends. Twitter is a nice way to toss out an item of the day too.

In ten years, where would you like to be?
In 10 years I'd love to wholesale my jewelry to other countries - that would be amazing! Other than that, just as I am now!

No comments: